Friday 1 January 2010

1st blog, Cranberry Jam.

Well I've finally got around to writing something in my blog, New Year ’s Day seems a good day to start.

I've have been making cranberry jam today. I found cranberries reduced in Waitrose yesterday to 29p a packet so bought 10, I may have gone a little mad, that’s a lot of cranberries! I spent the morning looking for recipes to use them in and couldn't decide, until my mum came up with a recipe for jam.


I put 2kg of the cranberries in a pan with 400ml of water and simmered them for about 40 minutes.


When they were nice and soft I mashed them a bit with a potato masher then added 2kg of sugar. I then brought them to a boil until it reached setting point. The jam was a gorgeous colour.

Here are the finished jars waiting to be labelled, notice the big bowl full of more cranberries. I have run out of sugar and jars, so not sure what I am going to do with them yet, but they were a bargain!

Update. I made the rest of the cranberries into cranberry sauce, I had to freeze it as I have run out of Jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment